Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Feliz Cumpleanos a mi!

(I know my spanish isn't right - I've quickly learned that taking a Spanish refresher class should probably be on the top of my to do list here)
So...I arrived in Barcelona this morning without a glitch (even 30 minutes early!). I must say that waking up in Spain on the morning of my birthday is quite a way to start the new year! I took a taxi to my flat in Barceloneta and, I'm not going to lie - this place is UNBELIEVABLE! It's a really quaint small studio flat on the 4th floor of an old building. It is literally right on the beach and the views of the beach and ocean from the flat is amazing. There is also a rooftop deck that has spectacular views. As I type, I am overlooking the Mediterranean Sea as the sun sets, with the windows and door open and a nice breeze coming off the water (it is still hot though!).

The couple that I rented the flat from are wonderful - she is from Belgium and he is from London. They have lived in Spain for over 10 years, with their current primary residence in "the mountain" (Pyrenees). They were quick to give me many tips on acclimating to the city including their favorite restaurant (which I believe we're going to check out tonight for a special birthday dinner) and places to see. Katrien also organizes a yoga retreat in the mountains later in July which I am hoping to attend.

Within minutes of my arrival I had a special delivery - a gorgeous bouquet of sunflowers from Walt. Exhibit #110 that I have the most amazing boyfriend on the planet! Between the flowers and the pics of Casey and friends that I brought, the flat quickly felt like home. My good friend from college, Ramey, spontaneously booked a ticket to spend the first 5 days with me here and she arrived a few hours after I did this morning.

After unpacking we headed out to explore the city a little. Even without a map, we managed to navigate our way pretty easily. Ironically the city is laid out similarly to Seattle with mountains on one side and water on the other so I think/hope that'll help me navigate without having to look like the lame tourist with her face in a map. We stumbled upon a cute tapas place for lunch called el Rovell and had a few small plates and a glass of Cava (spanish champagne - which I have a feeling I will be drinking A LOT over the next 7 weeks). Then went to the mercato to pick up the basics (water, coke zero and cheese & crackers) which is just a few blocks from our flat. Then, in true Spanish fashion we proceeded home for a 3 hour siesta. Needless to say, I could really get used to this lifestyle!

That's about it - so far! Seeing that dinner and the nightlife doesn't get started until late here (perfect for the nightowl that I am) I have a feeling there's still some birthday fun to be had...between all the birthday wishes from my friends and family and being in such a magestic place, I truly feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I have never felt so blessed, happy and loved in my entire life. If you're reading this it means that you are certainly one of the special people in my life and for that, I say - thank you! If today is any indication, I know that this is going to be an amazing year!

1 comment:

  1. Cricket, I can picture everything you write so vividly and I have never even been to Barcelona. I am going to love to read about all your doings this summer.

    It sounds as if you had a splended birthday! I look forward to seeing the pics.

    We are the blessed ones to have you to vicariously live through:)

    XO

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete